December 04, 2007

1st Holiday Movie & 1st Post

My first 2007 Holiday season movie was "In The Good Old Summertime" (1949) with Judy Garland and Van Johnson. The title is silly because the whole film takes place in the winter, except the opening and closing scenes. A charming remake of "The Shop Around The Corner." Judy looks pretty and happy in this film. I have a video I taped off TCM quite a few years ago. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0041507/

It is a complete frustration for this ancient pelican why we must change every few years from one way to have our films to another way. The video tape was a miracle for this ole gal, who always dreamed of having a movie screen and projector back when I was a kid, watching the Saturday afternoon cartoons, 2 serials, a cowboy movie, or two, and maybe a mystery/detective movie.

And it happened, but by television. But now I have hundreds of video tapes of films, and have to replace or copy to DVD. Not fair, I say. Oh well, at least we can sit in our own place and watch what we want.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I also love old Black & White movies and especially anything with Deanna Durbin. I recently started a new website as a tribute to Deanna and you may find some interesting information about her at my website.

Alex (deannadurbin.org)

Purpleladyj said...

Thank you Alex. I will check out your Deanna site tomorrow. I have most of her films on tape. Love them all.

Jane