January 20, 2008

The Deep Freeze

We are In the deep freeze in the Heartland USA.

I did get out in the cold rain on Wed., the 16th and go to the theater to see "P. S., I Love You" again. Can't get too much of looking at Mr. Gerard Butler - and he sings snatches of 3 songs. Lovely. Remember to leave a vote if you visit the IMDb site.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0431308/

Then it turned to freezing rain that night and snow by morning. So the rest of the week, it was back to the fire and TV. And my selected tapes and DVDs for January. Two I watched yesterday were:

"Cover Girl" (1944) Starring Rita Hayworth, at her most beautiful. She was one of the main pin-up girls during WWII. In this she is an entertainer in Gene Kelly's joint in the Bronx and Phil Silvers was the master-of-ceremonies/comedian. Beautiful technicolor. Great songs and dancing. For years I did not know that Rita did not do her own singing. I was kinda dissapointed, but wow! she could dance. In musicals, the story doesn't matter much, and this is the usual, boy and girl in love, boy loses girl, girl goes back to boy by fade out. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0036723/

"Sweet Sixteen" (2002) A very unpleasant story of the young teens who are poor and on the path to destruction. And their disfunctional families. I just did not care about any of them. Filmed in and around Glasgow, some of the scenery is lovely, so I concentrated on that. But that wasn't enough and I was fast forwarding through the last half just looking for the pretty scenes.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0313670/

Yesterday was also caucus and primary time in Nevada and South Carolina, but I didn't watch news so don't know who won. I wish I cared, but it just seems none of the ones running will make the changes we really need for this country. Sad, but true.

No comments: