January 28, 2008

January thaw commences

Gradually over the last three days, all the ice and snow has melted away. Yesterday was almost balmy. Daughters fixed seafood on the grill, and salad, baked potatoes and apple pie. A meal fit for a queen.


This weekend was also the National Figure Skating Championships, which I always watch. We have a new crop of young girls in the Ladies competition. The Men's had a great rivalry last night and great skating.


It was also the Screen Actors Guild Awards and a busy time clicking between both. Since I have not seen many of the nominated movies, and watch hardly any of the TV shows nominated, I was not too interested. But I do like to see who is who and I will see the films later I have no doubt.


I did get out my tape of "January Man" to watch on a cold afternoon. I find this film a delight. Kevin Kline at his quirky best; Susan Sarandan, gorgeous; Harvey Keitel, mean, as usual; and Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio, lovely and a perfect match for Kline. The story about two brothers, one a screw-up and the other a bastard, and a series of murders, is interesting, but mainly the interactions by the characters in what is fun. AND as a bonus Alan Rickman in one of his first roles; Danny Aiello, the frustrated police chief; and Rod Steiger chewing the scenery as the Mayor. Great cast! Great fun! http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097613/

Over the weekend, I got up one morning and turned on the TV to the Fox Movie Channel and just made the beginning of the 1940 version of "The Mark Of Zorro" with the gorgeous Tyrone Power and lovely Linda Darnell. Basil Rathbone, the greatest villian of them all, and a great sword fighter, who did most of his own fighting scenes, was perfect. When I was a little 8 year old girl, I was thrilled by Zorro and wanted to dress in long ruffled dresses like Linda. It holds up as great entertainment for all ages to this day. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0032762/

The start of a new week will bring us one more day of warm weather and then it is back to the deep freeze and maybe some snow. Winter is just one month old and already I'm very tired of this baby.

I'm starting to redo my catalog of videos and DVD's but trying to decide on a layout and getting set up, is tiring. But, I've scribbled so much on my old one I can barely read it, so it is time.

No comments: