January 07, 2008

Surprise! Good weather for January

What a wonderful few days as the temperatures gradually warmed up, and all the ice and snow melted away. I was able to take down all the outdoor decorations by Twelfth Night - the fifth of January. Then I sat on the glider and watched the birds. It was 60 degrees and felt so good.

Friday the 4th, however, was cold and unpleasant. During the afternoon, I got a film in the mail that I had on my Que at Blockbuster:

"Enigma": and watched with subtitles so I missed none of the dialog. It is a very interesting and smart film and we need to understand what is said. I loved Dougray Scott as the code breaker who had had a breakdown over a lovely woman who worked there also. When he comes back, he and Kate Winslet try to find out what happened to the mystery woman he loved. Along with breaking the code and helping with the rest of the war.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0157583/

In the evening, I watched "A Good Year" with Russell Crowe. A trifle, but Crowe is okay as a business shark who goes to Tuscany and learns the joys of grape growing. A fantasy film for men of the boomer generation who are tired of the rat race and dream of just getting away with a new love and life. What I call a "Dick Flick". Not bad. I don't think slapstick is Russell's best turn. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0401445/

Well, after getting the decorations off the lawn, I poured a glass of wine and watched:

"Waitress ": After so many critics put this on their "to see" list, I was looking forward to having a good laugh. So dissapointing. A very lame story; a male lead who is a 'lump'; girlfriends who are no help to the herione - always asking for something. And the husband from Hell! I'm afraid I didn't laugh once in the whole film. I am so tired of problem pregnancy's that give everyone an "aw" moment at the fade. What a bore! http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0473308/

In the evening I tried: "Music & Lyrics': Cute. Drew Barrymore and Hugh Grant and strangely a okay romantic couple, even though, at 47, Hugh is about 15 years older than Drew. He's cute, but needs to stop playing guys with the Peter Pan syndrome. Or play men who love women of their own age group. Like Diane Lane.

The film does have some clever dialog and is, more or less, enjoyable. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0758766/

Well, by yesterday I was ready for something a bit more tart, so got out my tape of "Being There" with Peter Sellers. In my view, this is his best film. Droll and apropo of our political season. So many great lines. Melvyn Douglas and Shirley MacLaine match Sellers at the top of their form. A true joy to watch. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078841/

That brings me up to today. I am going to watch one of my Chow Yun Fat Hong Kong films for a change of pace. Later.

No comments: