February 15, 2008

Eleven films in 6 Days-----

This week has had such bad weather, cold, sleet, wind like a knife, I don't want to think about it, although I did venture out to have a haircut and buy groceries.
So my primary activity was still watching films. Some from my collection, some rentals, some off my satellite channels.

"Crash" (2005) Directors commentary. I had to watch this again with the commentary. Interesting from the director, Cheadle and a producer.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0375679/

"Picture Perfect" (1997) Okay rom/com until the last 15 minutes, when it becomes rediculous. Lame ending. Jennifer Anniston deserved better. Too bad.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119896/ratings

"The Bodyguard" (1992) Kevin Costner in the title role is hired to protect super star, Whitney Houston, playing a spoiled bitch who turns into a frightened lady. I always enjoy getting this one out and watching 2 pros at the top of their game. The scene of Whitney singing "I will run to you" as she runs toward the camera in a flowing white dress, is perfect. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0103855/

"Elizabeth, The Golden Age" (2007) Well, I finally saw this and wish I had gone to the theater - it is beautiful. Cate Blanchett is good as always. I enjoyed myself and a visit the court of Elizabeth and to the "Golden Age."
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0414055/

"The Apartment" (1960) Jack Lemmon and Shirley MacLean make this a very good romance. Fred MacMurray is the "boss" on the make and a real sleaze bag. The supporting cast is great and make the laughs come and the way of life in the "office" has changed somewhat since 1960. But guys on the make have not, nor have gals who let them make out. "The more things change, the more they stay the same." http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0053604/

"Caesar & Cleopatra (1945) Beautiful Vivien Leigh is the great queen as a kitten in George Bernard Shaws marvelous play. Claude Rains is terrific as the bemused Caesar. Lavish sets, costumes, some of Britains great actors in small parts, a wonderful score, make this a joy from beginning to end. But you have to listen. This one is not for anyone who can't pay attention to the great dialog. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0038390/

"The Red Shoes" (1948) One of the greatest films about ballet. During the last half of the film, there is the full 15 minute title ballet. Some of the most beautiful color photography ever for a film. This played at road shows across the US for over a year. Two shows a day. We went all dressed up like we were going to a play. I don't remember how many times I went to see it in the year it was in my town, but a lot. The music, the dance, the actors all made it a magical experience. Thanks to TCM for showing it during their 31 Days Of Oscar. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0040725/

3:10 To Yuma (2007) I love Westerns. I liked this remake of the 1957 film, but it is 30 minutes too long. The original was a tight, 1:32 minutes. This is 2:01 minutes. It is filled up with huge fires, explosions, fights that go on too long, etc. More is not better when you lose the tension. Some details of the story have been changed for what purpose I don't know.. Shoulda stuck to the original and let the new sets, cast and color photography made the difference. It's a great story and should have been a great film with this cast. But it isn't. Still, I'll take a new western when I can get it. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0381849/

"16 Blocks" Bruce Willis a corrupt cop trying to get a petty criminal to a grand jury hearing against a bunch of worse cops trying to stop them. Didja get that? I was kept awake for the whole film. So it's not bad, cause a lot of 'um put me right to sleep. LOL
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0450232/

"Batman Begins" (2005) This is one that I snoozed in more than once. I can't stand Bale. His mouth is too full of teeth. And his expressions are all the same. A really bad remake of the Michael Keaton Batman film. And Tomcats wife is no Kim Bassinger. 2/10 Bad!!! http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0372784/

"The Poseidon Adventure" (2006) Another remake that shouldn't have been greenlit. Awful. Not one character is the least bit interesting. Put me to sleep more than once, as I dozed the running time away. 2/10 http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0409182/

So I have been sleeping a lot. During films. What does that tell you. They are bad!

So sorry about the latest shootings at a college. Will we ever be able to find the reason and how to stop it? Maybe go back to the days when some people were deemed so dangerous that we had them locked in hospitals. Don't know the answer but hope the families of the victims can find solace in the many people who sympathize.

3 comments:

Bonnie said...

Jane,
I read your blog faithfully just don't always have something interesting to say in response.

I do have a question for you. How do you keep your massive collection of DVDs and videos organized? I still am fighting the storage and organization issue.

Purpleladyj said...

Hi Bonnie, Yesterday was run around day so I wasn't at my computer much - that's why I didn't answer.

Long ago I started putting numbers on my tapes as I used them. Then I used my computer to make a file of films by alphebet, but numbering each one. Each entry was numbered automatically, so my headings were: Tape #, Title, Year, Cast, and Comments (which was usually when I watched that film last.)

I left room to add films between my entries and then printed in out and keep it in a notebook. I do keep when I last watched up to date. I'm thinking it is about time to redo the whole list. When I did it, I had 645 films on tape or DVD. Now I have so many written in between, I'm not sure how many films I do have.

I have a very large walkin closet with lots of shelves. I use one long one for my tapes by number. And a floor to cieling bookcase in my office is full too. I'm using an old chest of drawers for tapes also. LOL Since I'm by myself, I do what I want with my space.

Oh, and I have a separate file for Gerry's films. ;o)

Now, aren't you glad you asked!

Jane

Bonnie said...

Hi Jane,

I keep a data base on the computer with each film's title, date it came out, name of the company that produced it, genre and actors of interest.

It's the storage issue that is worst for me. I have four DVD shelving systems and probably six carboard boxes full. I'm thinking of have floor to ceiling shelves custom built to maximize the space.

Since I'm alone I can do what I want too.

I do keep my Gerry films together too.