June 09, 2008

Mail, Lions, Blood & Sex

This week was spend outdoors finishing planting containers for the porch and patio. Too tired to watch whole films so stuck to reruns on TV, except for these four:

You've Got Mail (1998) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0128853/
A remake, for the computer generation of "The Shop Around The Corner" which is the name of Meg Ryans book store. She is being forced out of business by a megastore and its' owner, Tom Hanks. But they are communicating by email every day, and finding they are soul mates. The leads are so charming, it is fun to watch them. Pleasant. 8/10

Lions For Lambs (2007) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0891527/
Robert Redford as a college prof. Meryl Streep as a columnist. Tom Cruise as a powerful Senator she is interviewing. Absorbing story of how the news media and men in power seemed to turn a blind eye to any problems of invading other countries, with religion and culture we knew very little about. And the central point of the students who are safe, out of it all, not asking questions, glib and protected by the few and brave. Good story. 8/10

There Will Be Blood (2007) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0469494/
Wellllllll! I finally watched "There Will Be Blood." A very unpleasant story about an unredeemable man. Daniel Day-Lewis is good at making you hate the guy. So I guess he deserves his Oscar. But I don't love that he got it. :(
All through the film, I kept thinking, "he sounds like John Huston in "White Hunter, Black Heart." Same accent, same throaty delivery.
The film was well made. Cinematography fine. I agree with those who said it needed some cutting - scenes just went on too long. And some scenes were just sort of stuck in for no purpose.
I guess it boils down to the fact that there were no characters that I would want to spend any time with ever again, so I'll never watch it again.
And the ending was apropo - a pool of blood spreading over the bowling lane - the crazy man exhausted with his 'work' - and his butler there......to what? Clean up his mess? 6/10

Sex & The City (2008) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1000774/
Went to the first show yesterday with my 2 daughters, who both were fans of the show. I had never seen the TV show. But we all *loved* this film!

Kim Cattrall's Samantha was the hightlight for me. Great delivery of very clever dialog. And Gilles Marini"s Dante was amazing, I'm tellin' ya - amazing! Do you suppose he had a "fluffer" like is talked about? Great bod! I don't think it was too long. Nothing I could find to cut - seemed like all the scenes were needed. Loved the fashions, although never in a million years would they ever find their way on anyones back here in 'River City', half way to nowhere.

Applause at the end - even for the early crowd. Now this is a great way to start my summer movie going. Haven't been inside my multiplex since seeing Gerard Butler in "Nims Island" opened. Hope there are some more comedies and/or good mysteries among all the action stuff.

Yeah, the fella's have their Indy, and the gross out comedies. We gals get four mature, successful babes, who know what they like! 9/10

Hurray for summer fun.

No comments: