November 09, 2008

Election Day makes slow film week----

I was so surprised and happy on election night I stayed up and watched all the celebrations from Chicagos Grant Park to New York City's Times Square to Washington D.C. in front of the White House. I was in tears just like the folks at the parties.

So it has been a week when the TV news was on most of the time but I finally got around to seeing a couple of films too:

Open Range (2003) Kevin Costner directs and stars. With Robert Duvall and Annette Benning. The opening shots of the beautiful scenery; and the great gunfight for the finale are topnotch movie making. The sound in this film is the most realistic for a gunfight I have ever heard. One of my favorite westerns of the last 25 years. 9/10 http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0316356/

Inside Man (2006) Denzel Washington, Clive Owen & Jodie Foster in a caper film. Confused and confusing film. I've seen it twice and I'm still not sure what's going on. But Denzel is fine as the policeman trying to negotiate for the many hostages holed up in a bank with some crazy theives, who all are masked through most of the film so we don't get to feel anything for them. Jodie Forster and Christopher Plummer are good in strange roles - almost cameos - that almost could be from another film. All these stars do what stars do - keep you watching because they are so charismatic. 7/10 http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0454848/

We are having frosty days and very cold nights. I've had my gas logs in the fireplace on the last 2 days to take the chill off the living room and my viewing chair. Dug up and brought in the canna bulbs and some other tender plants. Gardening is over for this year.

No comments: