September 24, 2009

Bogart, Bacall, Julie & Julia......

Yesterday I went to see J & J with my sister and came home and last evening I had my Bogart & Bacall reunion. Loved both films. Talented actors in clever scripts equals enjoyment. So say I....

The Big Sleep (1946) Humphrey Bogart, Lauren Bacall, Dorothy Malone. One of the best of the so-called film noirs, which we called murder mysteries back in the day. Clinched Bogey and Bacall as superstars. Made a STAR of Malone in one 10 minutes scene. High school, fountain cherry cokes, movie magazines and Bogey and Bacall. Didn't get any better. To this day, I don't think there is a coherant synopsis of this story. But it is the best at atmosphere, dialog, and stars chemistry. I have to watch it every year or so and every time, I just have a smile on my face. 9/10 That final line of Bogarts "what's the matter with you?" and the look he gives 'Baby' is what is now called HOT! http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0038355/

Julie & Julia (2009) Meryl Streep, Amy Adams, Stanley Tucci. All 3 actors are very good. Meryl is outstanding, but Amy and Stanley hold up their scenes well. I am of an age to have watched almost all Julia Childs original live PBS programs. I saw her burn herself, cut herself, bleed, all the while commenting with that 'voice' and her mannerisms. That is what Meryl does so perfectly. I loved the part with the young writer and her husband. My sister and I both agreed Amy will have a long and successful career. She is a natural and while she is on - the scene is hers, just like Meryl. And what to say about Stanley? He is sooooo good. As Mr. Julia Child, he was quiet, funny and touching. Great actor. We thought this was a definite 9/10. We laughed and had a great time at the movies. That's what it's all about. It will take a spot in my library of films. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1135503/

No comments: