October 24, 2009

Some Enchanted Evening.........

....on a beautiful beach in the blue, blue Pacific:

South Pacific (1958) Mitzi Gaynor, Rossano Brazzi, John Kerr, Juanita Hall, France Nuyen, Ray Walston. All the songs are in the film version. None were cut, which shows how Rodgers & Hammerstein's masterpiece was revered by Josh Logan, the director and the producers, Buddy Adler, George Skouras and 20th Century. Yesterday 10/23/09, it was shown on TCM in all its' glory and I sat with a smile on my face. I have even gotten so I am not distracted by the color filters used on the camera for different songs and scenes. It is a very small innovation Logan used and compared to what is used in films today, seems quaint that it was so vilified in "58. The delivery of Gaynors lines is somewhat theatrical, but she is darling all the same. Brazzi is fine as the romantic lead, and Hall and Nuyen perfect. When I saw the road show play in the early 50's I loved it. When I read Michenors book, I loved it. So, what can I say? I love to sit and let this film just wash over me. And that beach she "washes that man right out of her hair" on - is mahvelous, darlings. 8/10 http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0052225/

No comments: