February 04, 2010

The rest of the story.....

The rest of the films I watched last week:

The Way We Were (1973) Barbra Streisand, Robert Redford. I had not watched this movie for a very long time, so was really surprised how much I liked it again. I remember seeing it with my best friend back in '73. We were young married ladies with kids and having a day out. And who to spend it with - why Robert Redford of course. We had watched him on TV all through the 1960's and then Barefoot In The Park and Butch and Sundance. He was our dreamboat favorite. In this his character just has to look pretty and be frustrated, and he does it beautifully. Barbra is irresistible as the loud, passionate, liberal with causes, who falls for this blond who she thinks is so talented and will someday take her to Paris and write a great novel. But he doesn't and they end up in Hollywood, which she hates. The actors are all good. The director Sidney Pollack, knows these times and the witch hunts and red scare, and does a great job bringing them to life. I remember them too, and how much two young Moms loved "the way we were." 8/10 http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070903/

Chaos (2005) Jason Statham, Wesley Snipes, Ryan Phillippe. I was just flipping through channels and decided to give this film a try and got interested. Why? I don't know. Maybe the actors are just so bad or the script so awful, it was like a train wreck. Just kept watching. No use giving any of the plot - it is a heist movie that doesn't make any sense. The dialog was laughable at times, and I don't think it meant to be. All in all, just passable. 6/10 http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0402910/

Bourne Ultimatum (2007) Matt Damon. Repeat viewing. Comments made in Dec. 26th post. 8/10 http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0440963/

Gamer (2009) Gerard Butler, Michael C. Hall, Kyra Sedgewick. I watched this DVD rental again with the commentary by Neveldine and Taylor. Very juvenile men. All about the T & A. They did not go through and tell us what they were trying to accomplish and anything about the plot. They made fun of some actors. I was not amused and very disappointed. 4/10 for their commentary. 6/10 for the film. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1034032/

Bright Star (2009) Ben Whishaw, Abbie Cornish, Kerry Fox, Paul Schneider. Jane Campion has directed a beautiful film with good actors to tell the romance between John Keats and Fanny Brawne. I wish I loved it more. But it is slow and nothing is happening, except loooooong looks and it is hard to register thoughts on film. The leading man, Whishaw, is so thin, I kept getting distracted, wondering if he was well. I never figured out why Keats friend Brown, was so hateful to Fanny from the first moment they met. So the whole film was a bit off putting to me. Someday, I will watch it again and see what I think but now I give it 6/10.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0810784/

Ten days of films now up-to-date. A few days of moderate temps and I was able to get the decorations off the lawn where they have been frozen and under snow since before Christmas. One more month of bad weather and then the calendar will say we are over the hump and spring will soon be here. Yea!

No comments: