March 26, 2010

The Bounty Hunter - a road movie

Today I went to see The Bounty Hunter. Wanted to go opening day the 19th, but Mother Nature threw a fit here in the Heartland USA and we had 7 inches of snow - on the 1st day of Spring.

I had purposely stopped watching previews and did not watch all the interviews and publicity clips on TV of the two stars. Since I have only seen Jennifer Aniston in about 4 of her films and nothing on TV, I just think she is a pleasant actress to watch. I have been following Gerard Butler's career since 2004 and The Phantom Of The Opera, a wonderful performance by Mr. Butler. I think he is a fine natural actor and does comedy well. And as everyone knows - comedy is hard.

The Bounty Hunter is a road movie ala Smokey & The Bandit. Country humor and music during the early chase scenes. As an Ancient Pelican, I remember the old MGM films that were part slapstick, part witty repartee, innuendo, and plain dirty tricks the main characters played on each other. Sorta William Powell and Myrna Loy-ish. Or Clark Gable and Jean Harlow. Running around playing games with and on, each other, but we always knew by the final reel, we would have an embrace.

Gerard Butler and Jennifer Anisten are very good. From the opening credits, they had me hooked. And I LOVE that car. From my era! Takes me back to my young days. Powder blue, lots of chrome, the top down -don't get much better!

The score, for me, let me know these are not really supposed to be sophisticated ladies and gents. These are average guys and gals just trying to get from here to there. Screw-ups, who by the end of the film have concluded they need to take one more chance at love. Still wary, prickly, but hopeful. I like that. Like real people, they may make it - or not. That's another movie. This ones a wrap. I rate it 8/10 and look forward to seeing Milo and Nicole again.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1038919/

No comments: