July 19, 2010

War, corporate espionage & Sherlock----

The Informant (2009) Matt Damon, Melanie Lynskey, Scott Bakula. Corporate corruption. Based on a real case and the FBI getting fooled as badly as other victims of this charlatan. The lies and manipulation becomes so involved no one can keep track of who is doing what. Damon is very good. The issue of ADD and or bi-polar disorder is very well portrayed by Damon, and the frustration of his wife and all the other people he has contact with at AMD is amusing and sad. He was a maddening character to all. 8/10 http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1130080/

Sherlock Holmes (2009) Rental DVD. Robert Downey Jr, Jude Law, Rachel McAdams, Mark Strong. Robert Downey Jr. is always Robert Downey, Jr. with a bit of a smirk and wink but I always find him worth watching. Jude Law was good too.
Watched the whole thing on my 2nd attempt. It put me to sleep after 30 minutes the first time. Maybe because I had just had dinner.? What can I say --- I'm old!
My complaint is the way film makers make Edwardian and/or Victorian England seem sooooo dirty and disgusting. Every scene in this version there is Sherlock in disarray and dirt. I haven't picked up a Sherlock book since school days, but I don't remember anything about how dirty and unkempt everyone and thing was. I may be wrong but that is my complaint. Strongs villain is interesting.
As an action film it is passably enjoyable. 6/10 http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0988045/

Green Zone (2010) Matt Damon. The invasion of Iraq in 2003 and the desperate search by squads for the WMDs that were the reason for our going to war. Damons(Millers) squad is seen in the first 10 minutes frantically and dangerously looking in alleys, buildings, warehouses and discovering no WMD's. Men are killed and wounded and Miller is more and more frustrated. He hooks up with a CIA operative looking for the truth and finds corruption in both governments. The early scenes are chaotic, just like I would imagine real combat is, and the whole film is fast paced. 8/10 http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0947810/

Have more films to go-----

No comments: