February 09, 2011

2008's Best??----

---one is and one isn't...IMHO.

Slumdog Millionaire (2008) This film is not one I will ever see again. I waited to see it until I finally DVR'd it and watched in two sittings. It was so boring and awful in the first half, I went to sleep. I watched the second half last night and did a lot of fast forwarding. I really cannot see what got everyone so entranced. The children were mistreated and lived in squalor their entire lives. Triumph of the spirit, but it is not pretty or uplifting to watch, IMO. 4/10 http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1010048/

The Wrestler (2008) Mickey Rourke, Marisa Tomei, Evan Rachel Ward. The fake and brutal world of the pro wrestler and how Randy "The Ram" Robinson has become the faded has been he is now, compared to the star of 20 years ago. He is barely making beer money on the American Legion circuit and has been locked out of his trailer by the park manager, for back rent. He has almost no contact with his only child, daughter Stephanie. She wants nothing to do with him. He frequents a stripper joint and pays for the services of lap-dancer, Pam. At one of his matches, both guys get really violent and he has a heart attack. The doctor tells him he will die if he doesn't give up the ring and the various drugs he uses to keep at top physical shape. So he tries a job at the grocery full time; connection with Stephanie; and asking Pam to marry him. All his overtures are failures. He is a displaced soul. He goes back to the familiarity of the ring and tells the crowd "you are my family." He would rather die in the ring among his devoted fans than live in utter despair. Rourke is superb. 8/10 http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1125849/

Another snow shower last night - about 3 inches. Phil says we are in for 6 more weeks. Bah! Humbug! LOL

2 comments:

Larry said...

I stumbled across your blog while surfing through blogger.com. I enjoy reading other peoples thoughts on movies. I find that I agree with you 100% on Slumdog Millionaire. I still am puzzled at how it won the Oscar for Best Picture. As for this year, I completely agree with the Academy's choice of The Kings Speach. Nice to meet you and read your opinions.

Purpleladyj said...

Thanks Larry. I haven't seen any of the winners of Oscars this year. Will catch up eventually. I will follow your blog and I left a comment on your Braveheart post.
Happy blogging. Jane