March 18, 2011

March madness means---

---not many films. Too busy with genealogy with my sister. We're looking for our grandfather, who dissapears sometime between 1918 and 1920, when my grandmother remarries. No records for the 2 missing years, so far. So, movies are taking a backseat to a real mystery!

This month so far, I have watched:


Love Me Tonight (1932) Jeanette MacDonald, Maurice Chevalier. This may be the best of their films together, but I like it the least. She's a Princess who suffers fainting fits. He is a tailor who comes to her estate to collect debts from her relative who has cheated all the tradesmen in town. She is snooty. He charms all the people on the estate except for his rivals for her affection. A few of the songs are favorites - Lover, the title song, and Mimi is a romp, but as for the humor and charm - I don't see it. 6/10 http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0023158/

She's Got Everything (1937) Ann Sothern, Gene Raymond, Helen Broderick, Victor Moore. My favorite "B" movie actress with a great supporting cast of "A" character actors and a breezy script, makes an enjoyable 90 minutes. Story is of an heiress who discovers she owes a fortune instead of inheriting one. Trying to get a job and pay her debts, mixups and sillyness ensues. Fun and funny. 7/10 http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0030741/

Lara Croft II (2003) Angelena Jolie, Gerard Butler. Rewatch of the adventure comic book film. The scenery is great (the stars) - landscapes too. Mindless afternoon watch, while doing other things. Background noise. 6/10 http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0325703/

Street Kings (2008) Keanu Reeves, Forest Whitacre, Hugh Laurie, Chris Evans. Average cop corruption tale with the only good guy able to blow away perps at will with no consequences. If that is your cuppa tea, this is a film you will enjoy. From the first half hour I was pretty sure the Whitacre character was gonna be a douche. Laurie irritated me so I was not enthralled with this story at all. If you like stories where no one has a moral compass, this is it! 5/10 http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0421073/

Robin Hood (2010) Russell Crowe, Cate Blanchett. Well, The Russ is always watchable and Cate can do no wrong for me, but the tale told is not the legend, so was boring to me. We get the pre-Sherwood Forrest Robin of Locksley. Which is not uninteresting, but is a slow slog. Give me the green leggins on great thighs, swinging in on a vine with a wink and a nod - every time. The last two versions have been ugly, dirty-looking and bad. This one is intersting but not what I was looking for in Robin Hood. 6/10 http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0955308/

I'm DVRing films I want to watch later, but having too much fun with my family mystery to watch fiction films. Onward.....

No comments: