April 20, 2011

The two Mildreds

Mildred Pierce (2011 - 5 part series) Kate Winslet, Guy Pierce, Evan Rachel Woods, Mellisa Leo. Well, I learnd something new. I never knew this story was based on a book by James M. Cain. But I'm a great fan of the film noir version with Joan Crawford. This one may be accurate to the early 1930's and the depression era, but the feel of the 1945 version is more accurate. I was a depression era baby and the fact that Mildred could order a new dress from a store and have it sent was so far removed from the experience of the people in my city neighborhood, I sort of gave up on the whole thing. Kate is a good actress. But she can't hold the screen the way Crawford can. i was not impressed, but I did stick with it the whole way. And I may watch it again. But I'm not saving it to my DVR. 7/10 http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1492030/

Mildred Pierce (1945) Joan Crawford, Jack Carson, Zachary Scott, Ann Blyth, Eve Arden. I have loved this since the first time I saw it as a teen when it first came out. Great performances by all the principals. And I am glad the story was turned into a film noir. Much more interesting. Joan is a dynamo. Ann Blyth the grown up child we all dread. Jack Carson is perfect as the snake who tells it like it is; Eve Arden as the best friend we all need; and Scott, charming and deadly. The lighting, music score, and art direction and cinematography - shadows, angles; it doesn't get much better than this. 9/10 http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0037913/

No comments: