December 27, 2007

Bummer! Illnesses mar Christmas cheer,

Well, the Big Day came and the Grinch stole all the fun. Both daughters ended up very ill with a mean virus that lasted 36 hours and makes you weak as a kitten for another day or so. eek! They both had to call in sick.

They went to a party Sunday evening and, it seems, almost everyone there came down with this same flu like illness. So they stayed away from me and my house - I'm too old to be getting that sick without ending up in hospital -which was thoughtful. I ran to the store and handed chicken soup through the door for one. The other has good friends running by with anything she needs going and coming from work.

So we didn't get to see P.S., I Love You on Christmas Day. And with all the snow, sickness and such, I don't know when I will go to the theater again.

But since I last did an entry, I have continued watching my Holiday veiwing list. First, I watched "Christmas In Connecticutt" on TCM. A charming film with the great Barbara Stanwyke, Dennis Morgan, S.Z. "Cuddles" Zakall and other wonderful character actors. This is what the studio systen did so well. Instead of loading their romantic comedies with young stupid 'dudes' doing revolting things, they had a roster of great actors to call on for secondary roles. Everyone is this film is mature, intelligent and utterly delightful. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0037595/

Next was "Holiday Affair" with Robert Mitchum and Janet Leigh. According to TCM - RKO wanted to see if the public would accept Mitchum as a romantic lead, instead of his film noir flawed gents. It wasn't too popular then, but has been rediscovered and is now a holiday classic. Janet Leigh in those tight sweaters they had her wear - was it Howard Hughes influence? - was darling and beautiful. Mitch was Mitch and a real hunk! A bad boy we gals loved. LOL
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0041473/

I received my DVD of Shattered/Butterfly On A Wheel on Christmas eve day and watched it with the Director and Writer commentary and then all the extras. It was interesting to hear what they had to say about the characters. They evidently meant for the viewer to have much more rapport and sympathy for the characters played by Pierce Brosnan (Tom) and Maria
Bello (Abby) than for the man they break - Neil (Gerard Butler). But I thought they were verging on nut cases, and after their scheme was played out, I would hope Neil would sue both of them. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0489664/

On Christmas Day after getting the ill daughter medicine and settled down, we watched the tape of American Ballet Theaters 1995 version of "The Nutcracker." So Christmasy. Lovely. Eggnog, great music and great dancing.

And yesterday evening I finally watched my tape of "An Affair To Remember." Cary Grant and Deborah Kerr are delightful. But I still like the black and white version with Charles Boyer and Irene Dunne better. From my Mothers era, they were two stars who were elegant and played the script with the light touch. The Christmas ending in both is heartwarming.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050105/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0031593/

With another snow storm predicted for overnight tonight, I'm sure I will be in my chair by the fire watching more holiday films.

No comments: