December 31, 2007

P.S., I Love You Review & Comments

So here is the thing. I don't watch many regular television programs so have never seen some of the supporting cast and their trademark 'acts.' I have never read the novel, P.S, I Love You. Or any other Ahern writings. Never have seen any of the actors except Hilary Swank, Gerard Butler and Kathy Bates. I don't know anything about walk-up apartments in New York. (Seemed to bug some people.) I'm not an 'expert' on Irish accents.

I caught the film for the second time 12/30 at the 10:35 a.m. showing; there was an amazing crowd for a Sunday morning. The projection was perfect. No microphones (complaints on some boards) on view. The sound was great. That end song over the credits is a winner!

And I loved it more that I did the first time on the opening Friday morn, the 21st.

Holly is a real person, imperfect and annoying at times. Hilary Swank is perfect. Those who want a 'babyface" child/woman to play Holly are not living in the real world. There are more look-alikes for Hilary than the usual cookie-cutter cute young things Hollywood usually casts. And Hilary has the chops to make us understand this childish woman and how she starts the healing and growing up, with her Gerry's memory to help.

I loved Lisa Kudrows questions to protentials. Very funny. I loved Holly's quirky sister and thought she brought energy and sunshine to her scenes. The boat scene is cliche' but funny all the same.

I still say the ballpark scene was not needed. They could have cut it and the expense, and had the reading of the letter as voiceover. Daniel and Holly [i]were over[/i] in the restaurant, and the audience knows it. Daniel is an interesting "other man" and a new type. More interesting than usual. But did anyone really think they would end up together? Not me.

Bates is always good, but I just don't see that her part is 'wonderful' as others keep saying. It's a part Bates can do in her sleep. The Mother had never reconciled to the marriage and seemed waspish. Holly had to overlook her disapproval while trying to find her way with her husband.

I wonder how many scenes with James Marstars and Gina Gershon were left on the cutting room floor. They were hardly in the film.


And Jeffrey Dean Morgan, although good looking in a grinny-goofy way, hardly has any lines to say. And they are one-note. So not a great impression.

The cinematography is gorgeous, from the streets of New York to the Irish countryside.

Our audience today clapped when the 'Mustang Sally" scene started. More energy and excitement there than in all the rest of the film. Gerry Butler is Mr. Wonderful. Singing, flirting, great body language, and a delicious deep kiss, at last. *sigh*

I've upgraded my rating to a 9 from a 7.


Postcript: I didn't read this book and I have promised myself that I will never buy a book thinking I will see it on film. Never happens. I have promised myself I will not see every preview and teaser of a film before I go to the theater.

The previews of PSILY were clips chopped up from 5 to 10 seconds and did not show what the scenes they were from were about. I went thinking I was seeing quite a different film, just from all the clips we were able to see online and on TV. My first viewing was clouded by that fact. I did not see what the preview seemed to say I should be seeing.

From now on I will go in like I did for "Phantom Of The Opera" - knowing nothing, never having seen a preview. But I knew I loved the music.

Or last years "The Departed." I had never even heard of it and went because I wanted to see the "300" preview on a big screen. But I loved it.

This has taught me a lesson. I've seen one preview of "Nims Island" - the next Butler film, out in April, and love what I see. Don't want to read the book. I'll not be watching or reading about the film. Don't want any more information than I have right now. That way, it is just me and what's on the screen - and that's what it's all about. One person in the dark, reacting to what the director, crew and actors have made for them. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jane, Great review!! Just a note to say hello and let you know your blog came up with my blog alerts!

I'll check back to see your thoughts on Rocknrolla and Nim's Island.

Lynne/DaisyMay