August 15, 2012

2 Encores; 2 New

ENCORES:


Along Came A Spider (2001) Morgan Freeman, Monica Potter, Michael Moriarty, Penelope Ann Miller. 6/10    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0164334/

The Ugly Truth (2009) Gerard Butler, Kathryn Heigl, Cheryl Hines.   http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1142988/

NEW:

Antitrust (2001) Ryan Phillippe, Tim Robbins, Rachel Leigh Cook. So. I put this one one my DVR'd list and finally watched it yesterday. 'Cause, you know, Ryan is cute in a bland sort of way. And Robbins is usually good. But my goodness. Ryan didn't change expressions more than - o - say about twice. Time was a real souless exec. I forget what the problems were. Doesn't matter. They were outdated already. Mercy me! I stayed 'til The End. But don't ask me why. 4/10 http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0218817/



Hoover wasn't who we thought he was in 1950

J. Edgar (2011) Leonardo DiCaprio, Naomi Watts, Judi Dench, Armie Hammer. By The End, I was repulsed by Mr. J. Edgar and his bureau.

A Far cry from my youth when I revered the G-men. Back in the 1940s and 50s we thought the well dressed, clean cut young men were all that law enforcement officers should be. In my early 20's one of my galpals dated one and it had to be on the q-t because they both worked out of the Kansas City office. We had a very powerful mafia family that ran lots of K C politics and the city market and grocery stores. So my friend and her G-man went out in secret, and I doubled dated with my date and we ended the evening at a jazz joint where Baby Lovett was playing. Argument arose by two guys over a bimbo seated in the next booth. Fisticuffs, and we fled. G-man had to get the H--- out of there or be fired by The Boss, who would know by morning if he got involved. His cover was the fact the joint was known mafia owed and a hangout, So he could say he was 'working'. 1950's history.

As to this film. I was impressed by Leo. First time I have thought he had the chops for the role. He was effective. Watts was equally into her loyal to a fault secretary. Hammer was new to me, and seemed suited to his role of the ever-true Tolson..

The relationship between Hoover and Tolson, as presented, was ambiguous but it seems likely they were semi-lovers. Unless there are secret documents somewhere we will never know.

What Eastwood has done, as far as I am concerned, is lay out Hoovers absolute power over Washington D.C.s elite from 1950 to his death. His view of the world and people was narrow and only those he felt worthy were to be trusted with running the country. How he managed his world, by the end of the film, I hated. He was a unattractive man, doing awful things in the name of our country, and I hope we can resist the urge to give other characters unlimited power. But with the so-called Patriot Act, we seem to be going down the same path.

Have to give J.Edgar a 7/10 as I was fully engaged and interested. Maybe because I lived through some of the rise to power. The newspaper here in K.C. wrote only flattering things. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1616195/


No comments: