August 16, 2012

Hot Millions; The Big Year; and a muddle in the middle---

Hot Millions (1968) Peter Ustinov, Maggie Smith, Bob Newhart, Karl Malden, Robert Morley, Cesar Romero. Charming story of two misfits who find each other and manage to pull off a computer crime for millions. They both live in a bed-sitting room in the same building. She happens to get a job at the firm he is hired at, and since she can't cope at any job, she is fired. He likes to conduct along with the radio broadcasts of the symphony. She plays the flute. The fun is seeing how at each step, one or the other could be caught but something always happens to save them. Droll and quiet with a few very funny scenes. Mostly just chuckles, but such a sweet story. A sort of Justice prevails. 9/10 http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063094/


The Tree Of Life (2011) Brad Pitt, Jessica Chastain, Sean Penn. Okaaaay! I watched this about a month ago and said 'think I better see it again after I think about it a while.' So. I watched it again over the weekend and I guess I'm just not the target audience. It made no sense, unless the mistreatment of children is a theme you like. I must confess, I DVR'd this off HBO so I could see parts over as I went. And I needed to because I kept falling asleep. When a director does that, it is unforgivable, as it was in 1932, and it is in 2012, no matter how beautiful some of the cinematography. Since the actors had hardly any lines to speak, and very little physical acting to do, how are we supposed to assess their performances? All in all, a bad film IMHO. 4/10

The Big Year (2012) Owen Wilson, Steve Martin, Jack Black. Love it. Great shots of wild birds. I have watched it all twice (first comments on July 17th) and parts whenever it is on HBO. I know this will be a favorite for many years. It is just joyful. And some great thoughts on what is important in life. I'm adding a point to my rating. 8/10 http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1053810/


No comments: